Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-07 > 0996620382

From: <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Rev. Alexander McWhorter
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:10:16 -0700

Hi, The Rev appears in "Ulster Sails West" (Marshall):

Rev Alex I was born in Ulster, student, came in 1730. died before
completing his studies for the minister in the colonies.
Rev Alex II is on the list of American-born Rev's of Ulster
parentage: 1758, NJ, NY, Pa: army chaplain and Pres. Charlotte
Coll, NC. DD Yale.

In "The Scotch Irish of Colonial Pennsylvania (Dunaway) A II is
mentioned, p 222 as attending the school of the Rev Samuel Finley,
DD, a native of COunty Antrim who came to Philly in 1743 and
became pastor within a year of a church at Nottingham in Chester
County (near Maryland line). He founded Nottingham Academy and
from 1744 to 1761 preached and teached there. Then he was elected
to the presidency of Princeton College. Other alumni of the
academy: Dr Benjamin Rush and brother, James Waddell, Gov. John
Henry of Maryland, Gov. Alexander McWhorter of New Jersey, and
Gov Alexander Martin of North Carolina.

So here we have a GOV Alex.

If I were interested in these dudes, I'd subscribe to
www.ancestry.com and use their resources. They have a lot of US
biographical material on line and it's cheaper than burning gas
to go to a library and you don't get any paper cuts from squinting
at indexes in the back of dusty books either. I think they have
PERSI as well on line.

Linda Merle

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:21:01 EDT

>Mary Stewart, daughter of James and Margaret Stewart married an Alexander
>McWhorter. There were two Alexander McWhorters in the area, but I didn't
>think Mary married the Reverend MCWhorter.
> If you can shed some light on this I would appreciate the information.
>James D. Dunn
>husband of a Stewart/Stuart descendant

This thread: