SPRINGER-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > SPRINGER-DNA > 2006-09 > 1157441256

From: "Melissa Robards" <>
Subject: SPRINGER DNA Project Update
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 00:27:36 -0700

A clearer picture is emerging in the SPRINGER DNA saga. I think this should help any of us researching this name in the south or in NJ to redirect our thinking. No one in the following group is related to Christopher Springer, the German who lived in Sweden, and whose son, Charles, settled in Delaware. That line is also identified in the SPRINGER DNA project; and besides the markers being too far off to show any relationship, the two groups have different 'haplogroups' which cinches the fact that the two groups are NOT related. (National Geographic has a definition of haplogroup: https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/glossary.html )

After a recent kit's first 12 markers were posted at FTDNA, it looks apparent that the following 7 SPRINGER lines are all connected. These 7 lines are shown in Group 4 in my chart on rootsweb's freepages.

NJ:

Samuel R. Springer b1789 d1872 Cape May NJ, m. Sarahs Chester1 and McCarty2
Hudson Springer b.c1736, m. Jane Richards
Isaac Springer, northern NJ/southern NY, mid 1700s, d.1832
Josiah Springer, son of Dennis Springer and Ann Prickett

Union Co., SC:

Ezekiel Springer b.c1750-60 m Rebecca Collins
Aaron Springer b.c1770-1781, m. Ruth Little

GA:

John Springer b.1785 m. Minerva Whatley, son of Job Springer

My chart: http://tinyurl.com/hau6s

As we now know that Dennis (m Ann Prickett) positively does not descend from Christopher Springer of Sweden :) it makes sense to look more closely at Dennis Springer who married Abigail Pack in NJ, and Dennis Springer who married Mary Hudson in CT. Dennis Springer of CT d.c1703/4. Dennis and Mary supposedly had at least three sons, Dennis Jr, John, and Benjamin. Dennis Jr is the one who reportedly married Abigail Pack.

While I know of no Dennis Springers in my own NJ branch, there were mentions of a Dennis or two in the general area, plus there was an early Dennis Springer with a father named Benjamin. I have a copy of a land transaction from NJ that clearly states the name Dennis Springer, and says Dennis obtained this piece of land from his father, Benjamin Springer. This seems to indicate that there were possibly at least two early Dennis Springers in NJ.

On a general note, the Springer DNA project is currently waiting results for: kit 67084 markers 13-37; kit 46204 markers 38-67 and an SNP test. Lines I am currently looking for testees for are: Dennis Springer (who married Margaret Goforth) of Union Co., SC, Jonathan also of Union Co.; Johnson Springer who m. Arrepsy Congleton, they lived in Ga and settled in Texas. Johnson is possibly connected to an unidentified Dennis Springer who was in GA; and probably a dozen others that in my sleep-deprived state I just can't think of right now.

If any of you have any notes, ideas, suggestions, please email David or myself, or post to the list. If you are a testee, or represent a testee on the chart, and would like to include a public note about your line, please let me know and I'll add it.

take care,

melissa springer robards

This thread: