OKGRANT-L ArchivesArchiver > OKGRANT > 2003-07 > 1059431625
Subject: [OKGrant] Re: Quaker (Friends) Church in Grant County
Date: 28 Jul 2003 16:33:45 -0600
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
Friends Church-Nash Pond Creek Area
The Quaker Church located Northeast of Nash on the SW1/4 of Sec. 28-26-7, was organized in the early 1890's. Records show that W. E. Johnston sold to the Coldwater Friends Society, a portion of land in "L" county Oklahoma Territory, for Church and Cemetery purposes. The same was assigned to Ed Helsel, as trustee on December 1, 1911, for a consideration of $5.00 and was signed m
by W. A. Partlow, President and C. W. Jackson, Secretary.
Later records show a Quit Claim Deed dated December 1937 to Ray Johnston, part of SW1/4 Sec. 28-26-7 on which the church was located, and to the public the cemetery lots. This date marks the close of Friends Church in this area.
Records show the following Clerks or Correspondents: Fannie Daily, 1896; Irene Hester: Carrie Garret: Evelyn Henley: Lydia Newkirk: Mary Kenoyer: Fred Newkirk: Eva Helsel: Alva James: A.C. Craighead: Albert Davis: Roy James and A.N. Stanfield: the last on record in 1932.
Alva (McDaneld) James, and early day resident recalls that James Henley and John Newkirk were resident ministers of the Quaker Church. Mr. Henley also preached at the Pleasant Valley School House and Mr. Newkirk was also the teach at that school. Some of the other members were the Grahams, Nees, Hayworth, Helsels, Gurneys, Houghan, Bachers, Ricketts and many others of the community.
In 1932 the Washington Grange purchased the fixtures for the grange hall and when they moved to Nasht the fixtures were sold. The piano was given to the Senior Citizens Center at Pond Creek.
Information from Henry Graha, Alva James and Leona Skaggs. Written by Lois Elson
This information was taken the the "History of Grant County" by the Grant Co. Historical Society