JOHN-L Archives

Archiver > JOHN > 1999-08 > 0934826896

From: "Wiggi Dietz" <>
Subject: Re: [JOHN-L] Thomas Johns Rev. War Papers
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:08:16 -0700

Thanks, Karen, but this William doesn't appear to be my William as he stayed in Pendleton Co, VA, and didn't have a brother (as far as I know) named Thomas. I was going for cousin, maybe??? Just thought it was a coincidence. My William was at the Siege of Yorktown, but whether he was with Morgan's Rifles at that time, is not known to me. Sorry I couldn't be of help.

>>> "Karen L. Salisbury" <> 08/16 10:29 AM >>>
Wiggi, we need to talk here. This was transcribed by me. Thos. was our
gg...f. He did serve with a brother William. Wm. was injured or taken ill
and his mother, Mary, got a stipend for caring for him. Then he disappears.
A William shows up abt. 1816, Floyd Co., where Thomas is. William is
excused from road responsibility for being over age. Eli Johns replaces
him. I cannot prove that this is brother William, but feel it is highly
likely. I can find no marriage for this William from Amherst or known
children. Eli is a family name that comes down through another brother's,
Robert's, line. Elisha really. I do not know if this Eli is a son of
William or Thomas. Eli and William never show again after this one mention
in the court records. K