JOHN-L Archives

Archiver > JOHN > 1999-08 > 0934823787

From: "Wiggi Dietz" <>
Subject: Re: [JOHN-L] Thomas Johns Rev. War Papers
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:16:27 -0700

Interesting to note that this Thomas Johns served with Col. Morgan. Wonder if this was Morgan's Rifle Regt, VA, the same regiment that my William Johns served with during the Revolution? Going to have to look into this further.

wiggi

>>> <> 08/15 6:32 PM >>>
Thomas Johns Rev War Papers

At a Circuit Court held for the Circuit & County of Harrison, in the State of
Kentucky on the 13th Day of September 1820, the following statement and
schedule was produced and given to in open court and ordered to be made a
part of the record in the words and figures following to wit:
Harrison Circuit sct (?)
Commonwealth of Kentucky
On this 13th day of September 1820 Personally appeared in the open court,
Thomas Johns said court being a court of Record for said Circuit and so
Declared by the law Establishing the same said Johns aged about 78 years
resident in the County of Harrison and circuit aforesaid who being first duly
sworn according to Law doth on his Oath declare that he served in the
revolutionary war as follows to wit: he enlisted at Amherst Courthouse State
of Virginia on the 4th day of March 1776 for 2 years under Captain Samuel
Cabble attached to the sixth Virginia regiment commanded by Colo. Buckner the
Virginia line on Continental Establishment that he afterwards served out his
whole balance of this term of two years under Colo Morgan and was dyscharged
(sic) in Pennsylvania in March 1778, that during his service he was in the
Battles of Stillwater at the taking of Burgoyne, Battle of White Marsh
Trenton and Princetown, he further made oath that his original Declaration as
he believes bears date the 8th day of October 1819 and his certificate is
numbered 15698. Schedule
And I do solemnly swear that I was a resident citizen of the United States on
the 18th day of March 1818, and that I have not since that time by gift sale
or in any manner disposed of my property or any part thereof with intent
thereby so to achieve is to it as to bring myself within the Provisions of an
Act of Congress Entitled an act to provide for certain persons engaged in the
land and naval service of the United States in the revolutionary war passed
on the 18th day of March 1818 and that I have not ___? Any person in trust
for me any property or securities contracts or "Debts" due to me nor have I
any income other than what is contained in the schedule hereto annisced (sic)
and by me subscribed. I have no estate real or personal excipt (sic) a horse
old saddle and bridle worth not more than thirty five dollars. My occupation
is that of a farmer and I am unable to support myself by labor. I have no
faimly (sic) and am not a house keeper. Given under my hand this 13th day of
September 1820. /s/ Thomas Johns
Sworn to before me the undersigned and of the Circuit Judges for the
Commonwealth of Kentucky this 13th day of September 1820.
/s/ W. Warrene

State Kentucky Sct 4
On this 8th day of October 1819 before me the undersigned one of the
Circuit Judges for this term mon__ aforesaid personally appeared Thomas
Johns, aged seventy seven years, resident in Harrison County in the State
aforesaid who being first duly sworn according to law doth make the following
statement in order to obtain the provision made by the act of Congress
entitled an act to provide for certain persons engaged in the land and naval
service of the United States in the revolutionary war. That he enlisted as a
private soldier in the army of the United States in the revolutionary war in
March 1776 for the term of two years. That the company in which he enlisted
was commanded by Capt. Samuel Cabell and composed a part of the 6th Virginia
Regiment command and at that time by Col. Buckner who was afterwards broke
for cowardice. That Esignment (sic) belonged to the Virginia line on this
continental Establishment. That he continued to serve in s'd regiment until
the colonel was broke & (NOTE: the following enclosed in parenthesis was
crossed out: "then he with a number of others of the same regiment
volunteered to serve in a company commanded by Daniel Morgan but he dosan__
recollect to what regimental company belonged or whether it was at that time
attached to any regi"*(can't read last line due to darkness) shortly
afterwards Capt. Cabell's company to which he belonged joined the regiment
commanded by Col. Dan'l Morgan in which company & regiment he served until
the end of his term of enlistment. That he does not recollect the number of
the regiment commanded by Co. Morgan but he is satisfied that it belonged to
the Virginia line on the Continantal establishment. That he was at the
battle of Stillwater, the battle at Saratoga & at the taking of Burgoine.
That he was regulary discharged near Philadelphia in the State of
Pennsylvania by General George W_ide & Col. Parker in spring 1778 but he has
lost his discharge & has no other evidence of his services nor in his power
except the ann__ed affidavit of John Kendall. That he is now very infirm and
from his reduced circumstances in life stands in need of assistance from his
country for support sworn to & declared before me this day & year aforesaid
/s/ John Trimble

Also the said Kendall came personally before me & made oath that he was well
acquainted with the above mentioned Thomas Johns while he was a soldier in
Col. Daniel Morgan's regiment & knows that he started to go to Quebec under
the Command of s'd Morgan but never saw him since (?blotch) until they both
_____(can't read any of line except last word) cause.

Cover Front:
Certificate __698
Kentucky to
Ohio
Thomas Johns
Harrison Co in the state of Kentucky
Was a private in the regiment commanded by
Colonel Buckner of the Virginia
For the term of two years.
__ibed on the Roll of Kentucky
at the rate of eight Dollars per month, to com___
the 8th of October 1819.
Certificate of Pension issued the 6th of Nov'r, 1819
And sent to John Trimble Esq'r
By _____-Kentucky
Appears to 4th of Sept 1819
Portion of
__emi and all __ ending 4 Mar 1820
Revolutionary claim,
Act 18th March, 1818

Back Cover:
Very dark and hard to read.
Certificate sent to the Hon. W. Brown HR 16 Dec 1820