IRL-GALWAY-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-GALWAY > 2003-02 > 1046190072

From: Pat Connors <>
Subject: [GALWAY] Co. Galway to New Orleans, 1850
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:21:12 -0800

I am passing this on, since the original message did not post.

Hi Listers,

I am subscribing temporarily to this list to suggest to everyone that they
pay a visit to the New Orleans, Louisiana rootswb site at:

<A HREF="http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/orleans.htm">Orleans Parish Archives</A>
<A HREF="http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/orleans.htm">http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/orleans.htm</A>;

I am one of the coordinators of the site and have been transcribing the
admission records to the public hospital there (called Charity Hospital even
today) for the 1850s. New Orleans was one of the major ports for immigration
in the 1850s, so that people from all over Europe settled in New Orleans or
else passed through the city on the way to points further north such as St.
Louis, Cincinnati, and parts of Iowa and Tennessee. Not only I am
transcribing the admission for certain surnames, I have recently begun to do
the records from 1851. I am finished with January and February so far - a
total of 3400 names or so.

In doing this, I came across quite a few individuals from Co. Galway, and
decided to temporariliy join your list and post their names, in hopes that
someone can connect with them.

For simplicity, I am listing just the names, the occupations, and the ages,
but there is more info associated with each entry. If you think you can
connect with any of these people, let me know and I can send you the full
entry.

Name Occupation (if any) Place of Birth
Age

Thomas Martin Laborer Galway Co. Ireland 23
Michael Kelly Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 21
John Katen Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 50
Patrick Rourke Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 23
Thomas Fitzmorris - Galway Co., Ireland 26
Ann Terrell - Galway Co., Ireland 26
John Quinn Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
Thomas Martin Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 30
Margaret Qualters Galway Co., Ireland 21
Thomas Clark Painter Galway Co., Ireland 17
Julia Cunningham born Giblan? Galway Co., Ireland 20
Alice McGlynn Galway Co., Ireland 16
Michael Kane Boatsman Galway Co., Ireland 18
Patrick Rourke Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 23
Michael Burke Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 25
William Lally Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 31
John Tansey Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 29
Patrick Fallon Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 34
Patrick Grodon Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 30
Peter Welch Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 31
Edward Nyland Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 17
Lawrence Cuncannan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 26
Margaret Fury Galway Co., Ireland 22
Mary Manning Galway Co., Ireland 23
Ann Kelly Galway Co., Ireland 20
Catherine Moclair Galway Co., Ireland 22
Johanna Kelly Galway Co., Ireland 15
John Turpey Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
John Welch Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 30
Mary Kelly Galway Co., Ireland 22
Michael Fitzgerald Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
Michael Garry Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
Patrick Gill Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 27
Patrick Kating Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
Patrick Lally Boatsman Galway Co., Ireland 17
Thomas Condrey Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 36
Thomas Kelly Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 60
Thomas McDonogh Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 40
William Kelly Galway Co., Ireland 12
Wynney Connelly born Kelly Galway Co., Ireland 50
Owen Carr Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 23
Patrick Whitstead Clerk Galway Co., Ireland 44
Bernard Lynch Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 26
Eleonora Mitchell Galway Co., Ireland 15
Hanorah Mitchell Galway Co., Ireland 14
Michael Mullen Shoemaker Galway Co., Ireland 21
Ann Glinnon Galway Co., Ireland 27
Frederick M'el French Newspaper Dealer Galway Co., Ireland 48
Mary Ann Mullen Galway Co., Ireland 21
Mary Madden Galway Co., Ireland 25
Michael Leonard Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 25
Patrick Manion Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 19
Thomas Glavey Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 34
Patrick Joyce Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 35
Thomas Conny Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 35
Thomas Lohan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 26
Edward Nylan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 17
John Katon Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 50
Margaret McConnell born O'Maler Galway Co., Ireland 25
Margaret Toole Galway Co., Ireland 20
Edward Fannan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
Patrick Connelly Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 26
Bestsy Koyne or Coyne (sic) Galway Co., Ireland 1 1/2 yr
Catherine Koyne or Coyne Galway Co., Ireland 30
Mary Koyne or Coyne Galway Co., Ireland 7 yrs
Owen Holmes Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
Edmund Barrett Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 50
Dennis Needom Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 35
Martin Connelly Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
Michael Dowd Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 18
Edward McDonald Carpenter Galway Co., Ireland 33
Patrick Conners Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 32
Timothey Collins Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 40
John Byrnes Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 21
Michael Hays Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
Jirdy Forkin Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 26
Michael Jennings Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 33
Nicholas Claugherty Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 35
Dennis Needom Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 35
Edward Stanton Wheelwright Galway Co., Ireland 28
Michael Callaghan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 24
Bryan Naughton Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 33
Catherine Foley Galway Co., Ireland 22
Charles Rock Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 24
Michael Naughton Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 30
James Ranney Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 23
John Simott Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 20
Peter Dolan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 23
Elizabeth Green born Page Galway Co., Ireland 25
Martin Curley Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 24
Martin McGleen Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 54
Patrick Manion Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 19
Fanny Martin born Bermingham Galway Co., Ireland 24
Patrick Donnelly Galway Co., Ireland 21
John Foley Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 31
Thomas Lyons Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 32
Ann Mitchell Galway Co., Ireland 14
Mary Kilkannan born Quinn Galway Co., Ireland 25
John Bohan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 40
John Mitchell Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 40
Mary Duffy born Pickett Galway Co., Ireland 20
Thomas Kelly Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 36
Walter Hackett Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 45
Bryan Naughton Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 32
Martin McGleen Galway Co., Ireland 13
Patrick Wynn Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 22
Catherine Heany Galway Co., Ireland 24
Emily Bonner Galway Co., Ireland --
James Ranney Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 23
Patrick Dolan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 18
Bridget Gollen Galway Co., Ireland 20
Michael Ford Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 22
Michael Naughton Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 30
Patrick Lynch Galway Co., Ireland 8 yrs
Catharine Agan born Monaghan Galway Co., Ireland 23
Charles Rock Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 24
Patrick Rowan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 28
Thomas Larry or Glarry Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 34
Lawrence Cuncannan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 26
Peter Nolan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 24
Ann Whistead Galway Co., Ireland 23
Catherine Davis born Doyle Galway Co., Ireland 18
John Welch Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 30
Margaret White born Fahy Galway Co., Ireland 28
Patrick Commer Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 24
William Lally Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 30
Eliza Green born Page Galway Co., Ireland 25
James Tracey Galway Co., Ireland 19
John Hardy Galway Co., Ireland 20
John Martin Galway Co., Ireland 50
Margaret Maden born Curley Galway Co., Ireland 24
Michael Noon Galway Co., Ireland 50
Timothey Mitchell Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 29
Bridget Hagan Galway Co., Ireland 20
Ellen Mitchell Galway Co., Ireland 16
Hanora White born Carey Galway Co., Ireland 23
John Toohey Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 18
Libby Ridge Galway Co., Ireland 22
Mary Craran Galway Co., Ireland 14
Mary Tagert Galway Co., Ireland 18
Michael Craran Galway Co., Ireland 20
Patrick Loughen Galway Co., Ireland 30
Patrick Mahan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 25
William Lawless Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 24
Edward Stanton Wheelright Galway Co., Ireland 28
Catherine Mullen Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 20
Cecilia Maddigan born Kenney Galway Co., Ireland 21
Edward Hines Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 40
Martin Noon Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 22
Patrick Moughan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 17
John Mullen Galway Co., Ireland 14
Michael Whalan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 24
Patrick Logan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 30
William Hart Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 32
Wynneyford Conrey born Goonan Galway Co., Ireland 25
Annah Welch born Burke Galway Co., Ireland 40
Catherine Woods born Toohy Galway Co., Ireland 22
James Coxe Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 40
Thomas Kelly Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 36
Catherine Nastor Galway Co., Ireland 15
Edward Griffin Harness Maker Galway Co., Ireland 57
James Byrnes Boatsman Galway Co., Ireland 28
John Connelly Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 22
John Flaherty Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 23
Michael Harrohan Galway Co., Ireland 16
Peter Keegan Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 35
Thomas Kilroy Shoe Maker Galway Co., Ireland 20
Michael Ford Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 22
Mary Woods Galway Co., Ireland 50
Ann Turl Galway Co., Ireland 27
Daniel King St Btman Galway Co., Ireland 25
John Katon Galway Co., Ireland 50
Michael Costello Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 40
Thomas Howard Laborer Galway Co., Ireland 20
Ann Naughton Galway Co., Irelans 24
James Redding Galway Co., Irleand 20

Each entry above is attached to the following information: Date of
Admission, Date of Death, When Discharged, Ward, Name of Person, Occupation,
Place of Birth, Age, Last Place From, How Long in New Orleans, Marital
Status, How Long Sick, Disease, Hr of Admission, and Remarks. You can see
that the records give quite a bit of information.

Even if you do not connect to these names, you might want to visit our site
anyway, as we have posted hundreds of thousands of vital records, immigration
records, complete city directories listed by name and then separately by
address (1811, 1822, 1832, 1842, and 1851), American Civil War draft records,
lists of victims of various yellow fever epidemics, cemetery records, and
tens of thousands of obits.

I am joining various rootsweb lists for the various birthplaces I find in the
admission records and suggesting people researching that location visit our
site. On occasion, I have been contacted by someone who has been able to
find their long lost relatives thanks to my postings like this. So, forgive
me if you are a member of more than one Irish list and you get multiple
copies of this email. The names are always changed to the ones associated
with the appropriate county, though, so you might want to check the list in
each of my emails.

I am not going to stay on the list, however if you have any questions, please
contact me at .

Good luck with your research.

Colleen Fitzpatrick
CoCoordinator
Orleans Parish (New Orleans) Rootsweb Site
<A HREF="http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/orleans.htm">Orleans Parish Archives</A>
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/orleans.htm

This thread: