DPS-SYDNEY-L Archives

Archiver > DPS-SYDNEY > 1999-01 > 0916037730

From: John Graham <>
Subject: Re: Free Church of England
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:55:30 +1100

Allan & Lois,

>Still trying to find where the marriage registers of the 1860's for the
>Free Church of England, 41 Burton St Sydney would now be held. I know
>there is a currently the Independent Baptist church on the cnr of Palmer
>and Burton St Darlinghurst, have been unable to contact via a phone no.
>given in the Yellow Pages to verify if this is the church I am looking
>for.

I checked with the Anglican Church Archives at St. Andrews today (phone no
is 9283-5024) regarding the Free Church of England. This organisation never
had any connection with the "normal" Church of England.

The Free CofE was established by William BAILEY (1806-1873), a convict
sentenced to life for forging a promissory note. He was, in later years, an
authorised marriage celebrant, and the Free CofE seems to have been a place
for quick marriages without the trappings and regulations required of a
marriage in the established church.

The Anglican Archives holds no registers for the Free CofE, and it is
doubtful if they still exist. There is actually doubt as to whether they
ever existed at all, given the shady background of Bailey.

The ADB contains quite a detailed entry for William BAILEY.

John

John Graham

GENEALOGY FROM GERRINGONG
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~johngra