CoTipperary-L Archives

Archiver > CoTipperary > 2007-07 > 1185757125

From: "TED MEEHAN" <>
Subject: [COTIPPERARY] Fr. Nicholas Sheehy & Ned Meehan in 1766
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:58:45 -0400

Hi Scott,

In its era, this was a case which had great notoriety - or should I say,
infamy. (Riots even took place in Canada on "Sheehy Day" for 50 years
thereafter, among Irish emigrants, as is referenced in a book called "All
Donnellys Must Die".) Most scholars trace the beginnings of the Whiteboy
movement to this case, and the distingushed historian of the United Irishmen
(Theobold Wolfe Tone's group), Madden, begins his discussion of the United
Irishmen with this case. I can refer you to Google Books, where you can do a
search for Madden's United Irishmen. There are several volumes of his work,
and you will find a fairly exhaustive treatment of the case there. (By
downloading the book onto a CD, you can print it out later.) Thomas Power, a
Canadian historian who specializes in Irish history wrote a magnificent book
called "Land, Politics, and Society in 17th Century Tipperary". That also
has a good bit about this case. There are several other sources who offer
excellent info on it, and if you need additional references, let me know and
I'll send them. I am the direct descendant of the Ned Meehan who was
executed with Father Sheehy - seven generations removed. There is another
good treatment of the case in Coyningham's "Lives of Irish Saints". My
grandfather had told me about this case, when I was a young boy, and it has
always fascinated me. The family refers to Ned Meehan as "Blessed Ned". I
believe there was an effort to have both he and Fr. Sheehy canonized, which
ended after the fire at the GRO, when nearly all of the records were
destroyed.

Ted