CARIBBEAN-L Archives

Archiver > CARIBBEAN > 2003-06 > 1055312399

From: "Richard Allicock" <>
Subject: East Indian Indenture Immigration W.I. Bengali Names/ Guyana
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 02:34:55 -0700

In a previous email I wrote that many East Indian names would tend to break apart and change under pressure of Anglicisation and Creolisation in the West Indies. In another email, I pointed out that Personal names seem to have become Surnames in the West Indies.

I have used the link below to extract some of the names that I personnally know as surnames, to demonstrate the fracture and change. This is from the Bengali male names list and therefore has both Hindu and Muslim Names, just.as where my knowledge of East Indian Names comes from, i.e., Guyana.

Any name beginning with Abdul and hyphenated (-)or joined (+) is likely to break apart and the second part of the name becomes the surname.

Hence Abdul (-)(+) Ghafoor, Haq; Rahmaan; Qaadir or Qadir; Sattar become Gafoor; Hack; Rahaman or Ruhomon; Kadar; Sattaur. Bahadurshah can break into two surnames, Bahadur and Shah or Shaw.

Any name ending in -gopala is likely to bcome Gopal or Gopaul. Any name ending in -udeen, eddin, iddin, or Din, is likely to become Deen as the Surname. But the name Salah-udeen, Salaheddin and Salahuddin which are personal names are also surnames. Any name ending with Prasad is likely to become Persaud. Any name ending in -shankar or -sankara is likely to become Shankar and Sankar. Any name ending with -svami is likely to become Swami or Swamy. Any name ending with -nath is likely to produce the surname Nath. In the case of Guyana the author of one book on Indian Immigration Dwarka Nath is a prime example. Dwarkanath is a personal name.

Any name ending with -murthi or beginning with mothi is likely to become the surname Moti. A name like Motilal can produce a person with the name Moti Lal and his descendants will be stuck with the surname Lal or Lall or even Moti. Names ending with -mohan or -mohana are likely to produce the surname Mohan. A name like Biharilal can produce two surnames; Beharry and Lal or Lall. But there is in Guyana Harilall as a surname. In turn this can produce both surnames Harry and Lall.

Hardyal can produce the surname Dyal. Names ending in Kumar or beginning with Kumar are likely to be simplified to a surname Kumar. A name ending with -lala becomes Lalla. A name ending with -Das simplifies to Das as the surname. Any name ending with
-mangal or -mangala will produce Mangal or Mangol or even Mangul, as the surname.

Generally any two names joined together that can each become a separate surname when a part of another name, usually can form two surnames when joined together.

Next I will give names which are personal male Bengali Names but which are Surnames and with the anglicised form where it exists..

Ali or Aly; Amin; Arjun - Arjune; Armugam - Armogan; Aziz or Azeez; Bacchus; Bhagwan; Bharath, Barahta - Barratt; Bihari - Beharry; Bishwa - Biswas; Bishwanath, Biswanath - Bisnauth; Cand - Chand; Carman - Karman; Charan - Karan; Darshan; Ganapati - Ganpat; Gokul - Gokool; Hanif or Hanifa - Hanniff; Hassan; Hardyal; Hussain; Hussein; Ibrahim and Ibraheem - Rahim or Raheem; Isaac - Isaacs; Ishmael; Jardine - Jardin; Kanai - Kanhai; Kassem - Kassim; Kedar - Kadar; Lal - Lall; Mohamed, Mohammed; Mohan; Majid - Majeed; Murthy, Mutee - Motie; Narayan - Narine; Usman, Osman; Prasad; Sadeq, Sadek; Siddiq; Siddiqui - Sadeek; Sagar; Shekar - Shaker; Sherif - Sherriff; Sravana - Rawana (?); Suman - Soman.

I hope that other listers can go over these names and see how they occur in the Islands, and let me know if there is the same fracture and change due to anglicisation and creolisation, as I suspect there was..

http://www.kabalarians.com/male/bengalim.htm

This thread: