AYRSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > AYRSHIRE > 2008-08 > 1219270940

From: "Mike Boyd" <>
Subject: Re: [AYR] Mowbrays of Ayr, Scotland, to Donegal, Ireland
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:22:20 +1000

I am not on the Gateway system so perhaps some one can ask these questions:-

1) where in County Donegal were these brothers?

2) About what time did they disappear?

3) What religion were they?

In 1718, the Rev James Macgregor and 4 other minister took some 300 famlies
on five ships to Boston, USA and set up a number of settlements, inc;uding
Londonderry, New Hampshire. My understand that these people came from
around Coleraine/Ballymoney and from County Donegal - I think the area
between Letterkenny and Londonderry City.

Rev James was a Presbyterian Minister.

To this may be another reason why you can't find them.

Mike Boyd
Brisbane