AYRSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > AYRSHIRE > 2008-08 > 1218525545

From: Mary Paton <>
Subject: Re: [AYR] GOLDIE
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:19:05 +0800

Hi Ruth and Irene,

Thanks for your replies. Goldies in Ayrshire are quite a mystery as
they seem to me to be thinly spread across the county! I don't know
how to connect those in the 1700s and by the 1800s as far as I know I
have no male Goldies so the name disappears. I don't even know why
the apparently eldest daughter was given the first name Douglass.
You'd imagine that after only one child they'd still have hopes of a
boy to name Douglas.

Of course their surname was Andrew but Douglass named her children:

Hugh (for Douglass' father)
Elizabeth (for Douglass' mother)
Thomas (maybe for William's father - I don't know who his parents were)
William (Douglass' husband)
James
Ann (maybe for William's mother)

I have just found a message on the list from Wendy back in February:

<<SURNAMES - McGuire, Lamont, Goldie, Doctor, Powrie
The 1861 census for Ardrossan at 34 Drakemere Street for the home of
James McGuire and his wife Margaret listed their children as well as
the following GOLDIE children. Does anyone know how to find out who
their parents are?

Name Relation Age Occupation Place of Birth
John Goldie visitor 12 scholar Ayrshire Dalry
Hugh Goldie visitor 12 scholar Ayrshire Dalry
Janet Goldie visitor 9 scholar Ayrshire Dalry>>

It looks as if John and Hugh were twins. Any Hugh Goldie is of
interest to me so if anyone can see where they came from??
Unfortunately born before compulsory registration.

Cheers,
Mary

At 07:33 AM 12/08/2008, Irene Mitchell wrote:
> > I have an 1859 Marriage certificate John MCONNACHIE m Grace Matilda
> > GOLDIE,
> > Patna, Ayrshire.
> > Grace's F: James GOLDIE , inn keeper, M: Marion Goldie Ms RAMSAY.
> > I am curious to know WHERE James GOLDIE was an inn keeper?
> >
> Ruth
>According to the 1861 Census, James Goldie was Inkeeper at No. 6 Patna
>Village, Parish of Straiton. Will send you full Census details separately.
>Irene in BC

This thread: