AYRSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > AYRSHIRE > 2008-08 > 1218283988

From: Mary Paton <>
Subject: Re: [AYR] MACKIE
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:13:08 +0800

At 06:44 AM 9/08/2008, Mike Boyd wrote:
>"Press gang" usually meant that you were grabbed and forced to do
>work. It was quite often used by the British Navy to man warships.

Hi Gail & Mike,

Yes - according to my cousin our ancestor was probably drunk in some
port between Tongue and Ayr and a press gang captured him and heaved
him on board a Navy Ship from which he later escaped. Despite the
manner of being press-ganged, I think it was illegal to escape from a
Navy ship so if there is any truth to our family lore, he'd have had
to hide somewhere inland after jumping ship. How he got to Auchinleck?

Cheers,
Mary

This thread: